The Illinois Geographical Society (IGS) was founded in 1939 . Our first official name was the “ Illinois Chapter of the National Council of Geography Teachers”. In 1947 the society changed its name to the “Illinois Council of Geography Teachers”. In 1950, we changed our name to the Illinois Geographical Society to reflect that more than just teachers are interested in geography. IGS seeks to promote scientific research in geography, encourage better teaching of geography at all levels, diffuse geographic knowledge, and unify geographic interest in the state. The Society's peer-reviewed journal, Illinois Geographer, is published twice yearly.