The Illinois Geographical Society (IGS) supports up to four research grants per year, each with a maximum award of $500. Grant recipients receive 75% of their award up front, and the remaining 25% of their award after they present the findings of their research at our annual meeting and a one-page summary of their research findings received by the Central Office.  IGS is now accepting proposals for 2019-2020 research grants until September 30, 2019. Guidelines and how to apply can be found here.

Research Grant Recipients 2019

Christopher R. Laingen (Eastern Illinois University) “Abandoned Farms in Southwestern Minnesota

Geoffrey Brown (Northeastern Illinois University) “The Truth is Out Where?: Rurality and Heterotopia in Two Decades of UFO Sightings

Sunita George, Raymond Green (Western Illinois University) “The Macomb Food Cooperative: An Exploration into an Alternative Food Network in Rural Midwest

Alec Foster (Illinois State University) “Terra Nullius or Terra Incongita?: Documenting Land Use Practices in Philadelphia

Research Grant Recipients 2017

Thomas Pingel (Northern Illinois University).  “3D Printed Maps from Global DEMs, LiDAR and UAV Sourced Photogrammetry”

Hannah Eboh (Northern Illinois University). Risk Perception in Small Island Developing States: A Case Study in the Commonwealth of Dominica”

Research Grant Recipients 2016

Stacey Brown (SIU Edwardsville). "Gateway to Poor Health? Air Pollution and Respiratory Health Disparities in Metro East St. Louis." 

Matthew Fockler (Augustana College). "Downriver Again: An Examination of Socio-ecological Change in the Upper Mississippi Watershed since the 9-Foot Channel Project." 

Courtney Gallaher (Northern Illinois University). "A survey of Community Gardens Programs in the Midwest: Assessing Contributions to Community Food Security." 

Lisa Tranel and Kacey Garber (Illinois State University). "Spatial Evaluation of Stream Erosion and Knickpoint Evolution using Detrital Mineral Tracers and Rock Strength."

Research Grant Recipients 2015

Julie Williams Lawless (Western Illinois University) and Kapila D. Silva (University of Kansas). "Towards a Holistic Understanding of 'Authenticity' of Cultural Heritage: an Analysis of World Heritage Site Designations in the Asian Context."

John Kostelnick (Illinois State University) and Courtney Tyler (Illinois State University). "Expansion and Impacts of Gentrification Along Chicago's Milwaukee Avenue." 

Research Grant Recipients 2014

Thomas Pingel, Sheldon Turner, and Nicole LaDue (Northern Illinois University)“Perceptually Shaded Slope Maps

Rex J. Rowley (llinois State University) “Neighborhood Casinos in Illinois: A Statewide Spatial Analysis of Gaming Patterns